UNIVERSAL MARIMBA COMPETITION INFORMATION 2022
These are the members of the Jury (to be confirmed)
- Dr. Ludwig ALBERT (BE) - president / marimba artist)
- Foo Pui Yee (HK) - marimba artist
- Filippo Lattanzi (IT) - percussion artist / professor
- Sergei Golovko (AU) - marimba artist / composer
- Tanasit Siripichwattana (TH) - percussion artist / professor
- Rodrigo F. Marques (PT) - marimba artist / composer in residence / 1st laureate
Honorable jury members will be presented extra in the Final Round.
Venues of Competition & Festival
- Academic Hall - Academiezaal : address / Plankstraat 18, 3800 Sint-Truiden
- Cultural Centre - Cultureel Centrum : address / Capucinessestr.8, 3800 Sint-Truiden
- Emperor Hall - Keizerszaal : address / Diesterstraat 1, 3800 Sint-Truiden
- Academy of Music :address / Gazometerstraat 5, 3800 Sint-Truiden
All Competition rounds are located in the beautiful wooden Academic Hall. The festival concerts and masterclasses and the Youth percussion competition are located in the Cultural Centre and historical venues such as the beautiful Emperor Hall, all located at the site of the Benedictine Abbey in the center of the city Sint-Truiden, all offering the best acoustic quality.
Program of Competition & Festival
- The Competition will include 4 rounds Live for Marimba Solo and 3 rounds Online for Marimba Duo / Chamber music.
- The Festival (August 22 & 23, 2022 will include final competition rounds, clinics & evening concert by presented jury members. Total Festival program will be announced from May 2022 on this website.
Each judge will evaluate during all rounds the competitors on a number of criteria (such as range, artistic ability, technique, interpretation, phrasing, presence, sonority) and will assign a combined score. The highest and lowest given score will be deleted. The others scores will then be averaged and the total average score of all rounds will determine further ranking and final award. All awards and prizes will be awarded unless the jury determine that the quality of the competitors performance does not warrant a prize/award. Candidates agree to accept the jury decisions and to respect the rules of the Competition.
Marimba models are only available by appearing companies which are partner of the Universal Marimba Competition 2022. Adams (Ludwig Albert artist model, Alpha model, classic model), Yamaha 5100 & 6100, Marimba One, Bergerault, Concorde/Korogi. Performance on private instruments will be accepted only for personal use and cannot be shared with other candidates.
A well planned practice schedule will be arranged for all rounds. Notice that for the first round only a limited practice time can appear depending on the total amount of candidates. Practice rooms & provided instruments are arranged at different locations. A Sound check is scheduled in the competition hall before each round. Notice that private instruments only can be placed in practice rooms to be shared with other candidates. Private rooms are not available!
All candidates have to reserve their hotel accommodation personally. We advise all candidates to reserve the soonest at hotel Stayen as a limited choice and availability can appear due to touristic high season. You will find on the page accommodation more information.
Proper dress code is required at the competition. So please NO jeans, sneakers, tennis shoes, shorts....
During final round and award ceremony, it is required to wear evening dress & suit or dressed concert outfits.
It is required to all candidates to be presented 60' before their scheduled performances.
It is forbidden to handle copies of scores or working copies during performances, unless the official published score can be shown during the performance. see scores regulation.*
Please notice that it is strictly prohibited to make photographs and videotaping during the competition.
A free daytrips to Adams factory can be organized during the Competition.
We advise you to exchange your money to Euro at arrival airports.
Nearby the competition Hall you will find several bank automats.
Transport to the Competition and city Sint-Truiden
- Directly hourly connections from Brussels National air-port, city Liège & city Antwerp to train station city Sint-Truiden & Hasselt.
- From Brussels: E4 exit, 25 Tienen, N3 direction Sint-Truiden-Hasselt
- From Antwerp: E313, exit 28 Hasselt, N80 direction Sint-Truiden
- From Luik (Liège): E40, exit 28 Gingelom, N80 direction Sint-Truiden-Hasselt
From Brussels: available at all train stations & National Brussels airport.
(airport service Chris +32-(0)11/ 83 20 27 / mobile +32-(0)496/52 01 83
Available at all hotels and Train Stations in city Hasselt & city Sint-Truiden.
- From Station Sint-Truiden: Taxi service +32-(0)11-69 46 46
From Hasselt station & hotels: HTM (Hasselt Taxi company)-Taxi’s en minibus
Tel: +32 (0)11/ 30 10 20, +32-(0) 479/ 30 10 20 Email: email@example.com
(Taxi Brussels to Hasselt 120 euro, taxi & mini- bus (8p) Hasselt to Sint-Truiden 40 euro)
- From Brussels: available at all train stations & National Brussels airport.
The competition reserves the right to broadcast live, record and videotape all rounds. The applicants grant the organization the right to make use of photos, biographical information as well as recording copyright.